Monday afternoon was our big day for kindergarten registration. Bryson was so excited to go! He had been telling people for weeks that he had his first appointment. Mommy had been really stressed that he wasn't ready for the testing based off of a friend's scouting report, but there was nothing to the screening. Nothing like teaching your 5 year old to the test already. I had to chuckle to myself when they were asking Bryson to identify the letters he was saying the letter name and then the sound. This was a result of us drilling the letter for the past week. The unforunate part to the day was that Bryson failed his vision test for his right eye miserably! He couldn't read the letters past the first line!! I was stunned and thought he must be nervous or something, but when they had him read with his left eye he whizzed right through the letters. I would have NEVER thought something was wrong with his eyesight. I am so thankful they did this screening and very disappointed that our family doctor didn't do a screening! So we're heading to the eye doctor's tomorrow. From the little bit of research I did online, it looks like corrective glasses and an eye patch are in his future.
Bryson was so proud of all the goodies he was given at registration. Mommy was impressed with information that they gave for the parents too. It's very clear on what they expect him to do by the time school starts.
Tuesday brought us to Bryson's kindergarten physical, which meant- the dreaded shots (4 of them)!! I didn't think to take a picture. I think my mind was pretty preoccupied managing the troops and keeping Bryson from totally melting down. We have talked him for months that if he was a tough guy with his shots he would get a happy meal, which is a very special treat because Mommy usually only orders off the Dollar Menu. I must say that Bryson did pretty good with the shots. He has a tendency to be more dramatic when sick and hurt so I wasn't so sure what to expect. I had to chuckle last night though because he says to me "Mom, do you think I could watch some TV because I really should rest my legs you know from these shots." Of course Mommy said yes.
The next ordeal came with Tanyon. Off and on since Sunday, he has been complaining about his "belly" hurting. He has been crying about it, which really isn't his typical behavior. He gets up from his nap yesterday and starts crying that his "belly" hurts but he grabs his throat. So I say wait a minute does it hurt here (pointing to the belly) or here (pointing to the throat) and he points to his throat. I feel his throat and his glands are really larage. Are you kidding me? We were just at the Dr. We couldn't have figured this our just 4 hours earlier to save us another copay?!
So that brings us to today. I call and make him an appointment this morning, so irritated that we are going to the dr's on back to back days. We got an afternoon apptment right in the middle of nap times and of course there's no other appointments. This was a blessing in disguise, because as Addie is sitting on my lap around lunch time I discover this as I'm pulling her hair back:
At first glance i'm totally confused as to what it is. So I look a little closer. I'm embarrassed to admit this but I first think "Oh my goodness she hit her head on something (which is quite possible) and I didn't even notice it (even more possible) and now I start to panic because I start to wonder if it's a piece of her brain oozing out (silly i know, but I had NEVER seen anything like this). I seriously started to panic! I gathered myself enough to force myself to look a little bit closer. This is what I discovered:
It may not be so easy to see here, but there were legs sticking out of this gray object!! Which means my daughter has a very large tick attached to her head and at this point I start to panic. The kids were at Adam's parents house (who live in the woods) Thur and Fri night and is more than likely that's where she picked this critter up at- which means the bugger has been feasting on my daughter's head for 5 days!!! Tick's fall under Adam's responsibility and he wasn't home. Which sends me into a greater panic because ticks sort of fall into a phobia of mine and i have NO idea what to do. I called adam's cell, I text adam (which I never do), i called his cell again hoping it was his lunch period, I call my mom, I take pictures of the tick and email them to adam begging him to call me. Finally I broke down and called directly into the school. Adam looks at the pics and says "I've never seen one that engorged before on someone!" AAAAHHHH! He's not helping me!! I knew I couldn't take this critter out by myself because I had to hold back her hair and hold down her ear, which used up both of my hands. :) Plus I honestly don't think I could have been brave enough. So we got 2 for the price of one in copays at the dr's office. Tanyon's throat looked fine, he's really congested, but I don't understand why he's been in so much pain off and on the past several days. The Dr looked at Addie's ear and said it was a dog tick and there were no worries. She was a trooper as he pulled it out. Tanyon, who was watching very closely, commented "Wow, Addie- your tough, you didn't even fuss!" So thankfully it wasn't a deer tick, but I'm going to keep a close eye on the wound.
Tonight was Bryson's t-ball meeting which he was so excited to meet his new friends. Unfortunately, he really didn't get to talk to any of the other kids, much to his disappointment. He prayed the other night for "God to help him to make some friends on his t-ball team!" That's been my prayer too, but I've emphasized the word "good" though in my prayers. :)
So hopefully tomorrow doesn't hold any drama other than going to the eye dr. As crazy as today was, I walked away from the dr's office so thankful for my kids good health and for protecting my Addie girl. I'm hoping I don't have any nightmares tonight from the tick- it honestly wigged me out that much today.
4 comments:
Heidi,that would have made me panic too had I seen it. Thanks the Lord it was only a wood tick.Sorry I wasn't a big help to you about getting it out. Addie is just like her mom. Tough when it comes to pain!! You're doing a great job as a Mom. I'm so proud of you. Love mom
Your adventures are the best! Reading about them always brightens my day.
ugh....that tick is GROSS! I'm glad you got that taken care of by a professional!
I bet Bryson is so excited for school! And that tick--oh my!
Post a Comment