Tuesday, April 15

Independence, ugh!

Someone forgot to mention in the parenting manual how much effort it takes for children to become independent. I have been reminded over and over again how much effort it takes to be intentional about things. It's so much easier to just put the boys clothes on for them rather than try and talk them through getting dressed while their being goof balls and jumping on their beds. I thought being potty trained would be the best thing ever. Now every time we go some where I have to remember to remind little boys to use the potty before we can get out the door. Now we get half way through our grocery shopping trip, and someone has to go potty. Try to picture all 4 of us, me holding Addie, squeezing into a bathroom stall and repeatedly saying- "Don't touch!".

I've been wanting to teach responsibility with chores with the boys, but that means things like making sure the dishwasher gets washed at night so it's ready in the morning. And I have the neatest little chore chart, but do you think I can remember to come up with a plan for that?! Then when they do perform chores for me, I have to remember to pay them and work on the whole tithing idea of giving money to Jesus. The hardest part seems to be at night when all I want to do is get everyone in bed, but I want to teach them to pick up their toys, and to brush their teeth (which they now want to do which slows done the processes even more) and read a Bible story and prayers. It seems like 'til we get all that done I'm completely whipped! Even little Miss Addie requires more work to be intentional as she develops. Gates have to be put up, dishes done when she's not around (because she loves to crawl on top of the dishwasher door) and remembering to put on the bib (which I'm not so good at) because I've got 4 outfits soaking right now because she's learning to feed herself.

But as I found myself grumbling tonight (at 9:30 because the boys had just gotten in bed) about how hard it is to be intentional, I sensed God was reminding me how good I have it. My life right now is truly blessed, but not easy! I have learned more about being selfless since becoming a mom. It's something I struggle with each day, but thankfully God gives me the strength to try. Being a mom is not something that I necessarily dreamt about growing up as a kid (like some girls do), but I'm starting to believe more and more each day that being a mother and wife is the greatest way that I can serve God. It's a position that a lot of times is anything but glamorous here at the Shaull household, but what an honor! By the way, I think I never did receive that parenting manual. I'm so thankful that God gives me the wisdom I need when I ask. I just need to remember to ask! :)

2 comments:

Judy said...

My favorite line in that whole post is; "My life right now is truly blessed, but not easy." That sums it up for me too!! Motherhood is a completely selfless act if you want to parent the right way!! You're doing it the right way and you will reap a great reward in the future!!

Amy said...

I had to chuckle at the mental picture of you and three kids in a nasty grocery store bathroom, simply because I have found my self in that predicament more times than I can count!!! And I completely agree that being intentional is really tough and requires a tremendous amount of pre-planning on our parts that is exhausting all by itself! But I agree with you too, that my life is blessed but not easy. I said to someone recently that just because life is really hard, doesn't mean that it's not fun and funny too!! It's both! And I'm so grateful for that. I'm also grateful to hear you expressing my own thoughts and knowing that I'm not alone in how I feel:)