Monday, December 15

Preparing for Christmas


So I am yet once again behind on the news in our family so I'm going to make a holiday prep entry. Last Sunday after church the kids and I were invited to go caroling with the teens. The boys and I helped make chains to hand out to the residence. The boys aren't always real keen on crafty things, so this was a little stressful at times. It did provide a nice opportunity to talk with Bryson that this was a way that God intended for him to use his hands- to help others and not hit his brother! (Something that is becoming a more frequent problem some days) The boys weren't really into the caroling so much, but thought they were hot stuff hanging out with the big kids.


Singing, not so impressive; dancing Santa- VERY impressive!


A close eye had to be kept on these 2 because the interest kept taking them to rooms where the door was cracked just slightly- like it was an invitation to them to come on in.


Usually we get our Christmas tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but since we had family still visiting that didn't occur. As I looked at the calendar I realized that our weekends were quickly filling up so we squeezed picking out a tree last Sunday afternoon in the last 1/2 hour of day light. It was SO cold that it really wasn't a problem to pick a tree. We usually travel to a very large tree farm, but since we wanted a larger tree this year (it would of cost way too much money) and lack of time we went to a little farm right down the road from us. Our process for picking a tree went even faster because there really weren't too many larger trees to pick from. I'll admit that our tree didn't look that big in the field, but it's quite tall in the house now.


Daddy carrying Addie to try and hurry up our walk to the trees.

Our tree that we picked.

Addie didn't seem to enjoy the experience a lot.

The boys were much more interested in the animals that they had.


Checking out the bird house. They thought this was cool!


Bryson and Addie resorted to the truck while we waited for the tree to be cut down. Tanyon of course was not cold (he's the one who runs around the house in his underwear all day long) and had to check out the small creek that ran through their yard.


I know it's not a great picture, but we had to document Adam's first true use of his saw.


Decorating the tree was not a fun process. It occurred over the course of 2 days, because we had so many difficulties. From now on we will decorate the tree the same day that we buy the tree. Adam had a lab to prepare for for school Sunday night so we didn't start the decorating until Monday. Then Monday night, the kids got a hold of some of the good ornaments and Bryson broke one of the special balls that my grandmother gave me as a child- right after we had just told them to put it down. So away went the decorations for the first night. The next day I tried with the kids to decorate while Adam was at school, bad idea! Away went the decorations until later. Adam and I finished decorating that evening.


The boys wanted to decorate by themselves. They told me they were done, but I couldn't find any bulbs. I then found them in the back of the tree in the bare spot. Not quite where I was hoping they would put them. :)
Bryson really was the only one into decorating the tree.


Addie just wanted to put everything in her mouth.

This is a forced picture of Tanyon because he really didn't have any interest in decorating.

The new problems that I have now that the tree is up- 1. Kids trying to hide in the tree (there is a rather large bare spot in the back of the tree so it's rather easy to do.
Problem #2- kids trying to climb on the window sill and around the tree. Problem #3, ornaments being taken off the tree- all three are guilty at times of this!


The part they were all waiting for- setting the train up under the tree!

All 3 kids love the train.

1 comments:

Jackie said...

You are incredible. It is amazing to me how you are always so calm and peaceful and collected. That peace is just one more way we see Christ reflected in you. Your tree is beautiful! Perfect in every way!