Tuesday, December 29

Decorating the Tree

Since being married, Adam and I have gone out each Christmas to a tree farm and picked out/cut down our own tree. We have some interesting stories from those early years of marriage from buying too short of a tree to buying a tree too big for our house the next year. This year we realized that we were pressed on time to go get a tree. Our old neighbors had a small patch of trees that they had planted and were for sale. Driving back and forth to town Adam and I picked out a tree that we liked from the road and decided that we would get our tree from them this year. It didn't have quite the same feel, but we paid less for this tree then some we've paid for in the past (and it was way bigger than those expensive trees) and it was picked out and cut down in less than 30 minutes!


Here are the kiddos standing by the tree before we cut it down. The interesting thing is that we remember when the neighbors started planting these trees. I remember being pregnant with Bryson and Adam having a conversation with the neighbor about how long it would take for them to grow. Well here's Bryson almost 6 years later and look how big that tree grew too! :)



The highlight to the tree is the electric Thomas train that runs around the bottom!


The boys loved that we allowed them to stand on the couch to hang ornaments.


Did I mention that they liked standing on the couch?


As a result of liking to stand on the couch, all the ornaments ended up in one spot and I decided not to fix them.

One of my favorite things about our tree are all the ornaments that my grandmother gave me over the years. This was one of the oldest ornaments I could find. I would have been 3 years old when she gave me this one.


Tanyon all smiles as we finished up the tree. Mommy and Daddy ended up all smiles too because we thought ahead this year. When we got the tree we set it up in the stand with the kids and then we put the kids to bed for the night and then Adam and I did the lights. The next night we decorated the tree as a family. This saved up SO much hassle. Last year I lost one of those special ornaments because the kids just couldn't wait to put on the ornaments and one got dropped while I was messing with the lights.


Take 1 at trying to get a pic by the tree.

Take 2- Not much better. Must have given up and told them to make a silly face. That's the only way that I usually get everyone's cooperation.

The tree Christmas Eve! I'm going to miss this tree when we take it down. It just seems to make our sunroom even cozier when the lights are on at night.

1 comments:

Marah said...

I loved your tree. It is really beautiful...and the kids decorating it makes it ever so special. I love your family.