Monday, May 12

He Did What?!


If I'm using this blog to help journal memorable moments, I need to record the little problem that Tanyon has with his nose. Last fall, I caught Tanyon one afternoon with very watery eyes and his finger up his nose. I asked him what he was doing, and of course he responded nothing. I then asked him if he stuck something up his nose. Of course he denied that also, but his eyes continued to water. So then I pretty much pinned him to the floor to investigate if he had something up there. They were eating raisins for snack and I was pretty certain that I saw something at the back of his nostril, but it's a little hard to tell since raisins are black and the raisin was completely at the back of his nostril by the opening to his skull! I then had to make one of the most embarrassing phone calls to the Dr. to admit that my son had stuck something up his nose. Well, they didn't have any openings so we then had to call the Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor. They also didn't have any openings until the following afternoon and told us it wasn't a big deal. He would become congested but that was it. Well, Daddy was not going to tolerate a raisin stuck in his son's nose for over 24 hours so he got determined to come up with a way to get it out. One idea suggested was a barbed fishing hook, which Mommy immediately refused. Then Daddy got creative. He got out our air pump used to blow up our air mattress. It had some adaptor nostrels, which actually fit up Tanyon's nose. So on about the third try Adam was able to suck the raisin out.


The ironic part to the story is the shirt that Tanyon is wearing in the picture. My mom had purchased this shirt because it seemed to her like something that Tanyon would do. She actually gave me this shirt the morning of the nose incident before anything had happened.

The sad part to the story is that Tanyon didn't learn his lesson from this ordeal. This winter, I caught him picking again at his nose. I wiped his nose thinking it was some snot, but ended up pulling out a rather large piece of foam insulation that we had put in the ceilings of the bedrooms. This piece was much larger than a raisin and was in his nose for 24 hours. Good thing is that it worked it's way out because Adam and I had no idea he had put anything in his nose. Of course with Tanyon the story is never simple. We then had a third incident which involved 2 pieces of the insulation at on time in his nose, fortunately we caught the second pieces being put in his nose. When it comes to meaningful punishments how do you punish this one?! This last time Adam used some scare tactics that probably weren't the best idea, but we at least haven't had anymore problems since then. I guess this shirt is very fitting for Tanyon.

2 comments:

Millicent said...

oh no! I love that shirt! I think sometimes scare tactics have to be used as a last resort. We've done that before and definitely fixed the problems!
At Christmas Wyatt was blowing really hard out of one nostril--I couldn't figure out what he was doing, then a nerd went flying across the room! I don't think he'll ever do that again--scared him pretty badly!

Judy said...

Thankfully Christian's never put anything up his nose, but I'm sure he will one day.
I used to be a nanny in college for two little boys. One of them had an accident falling down the cement steps and while his mom was at the ER with him, his brother (who I was watching) put a popcorn kernel (an unpopped one) in his ear. I tried to get it out and managed to push it even further in his ear. So I put him in the car and took him to the ER. His mom was not happy to see him there. Thankfully his ear was a quick fix for the doctors, his brother ended up with a ton of stiches (poor boy).