Wednesday, August 20

Family Olympics



Our church hosted a family Olympics last Sunday that was tons of fun. We had homework (that earned bonus points for our team) that the boys loved doing and just helped build the excitement for the Olympics. By Sunday morning there was a ton of trash talking going on since everyone had found out their teams. I walked into the play area to hear Bryson saying to someone, "We're going to kick your butt!". At lunch we had to have a crash course in sportsmanship and how we would handle ourselves if they didn't win a medal, because Bryson thought for sure that they would win a gold medal. Mommy and Mrs. Carter were in charge of running the Olympics, so Mommy wasn't able to get any pictures of the kids. It was so neat to see families with kids of all different ages come together for this Olympics. (We had almost 100 people there!) After 6 events, we had dinner and the point totals were calculated, but team white (our family's team) was not a winner. Bryson was visibly disappointed, but our crash course at lunch worked out. Bryson even walked up to an adult from one of the winning teams and congratulated them for winning. (I was very proud of him) So you may wonder how did the boys end up with medals? Mr. Dave and Miss Sherri were so kind to give the boys their medals. They are still dragging them everywhere around the house!



Here are the boys! Proudly displaying their medals.




I love this picture! One, it's a good picture, but it right a way made my mind fast forward a little bit and think how cool it would be if the boys can be on a sports team together some day that wins something big. I know, I know I'm a hopeless competitor. The greatest desire Adam and I have for our children is that they will love the Lord and want to serve Him in all that they do. But we do still hope that they enjoy sports. We do a lot to encourage it, but we will never force sports upon our kids. They're just not going to know any differently. :)
And for those of you who would love more than anything to see our kids become musicians. I've included these pictures so that you can see that I do allow them to explore other talents, just not for very long periods of time. :)

2 comments:

Judy said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. The whole sportsmanship thing is so difficult at this age. We were having car races in the driveway yesterday and everytime that Christian didn't win (which was just about all the time) he literally laid on the blacktop and cried and kicked his feet in the most pathetic display of self-centeredness. I tired to work through it with him, but he just ended up in time out in the house by himself. I'm hoping that he'll do a little better next time.

Jen said...

What a fun idea!! I love the picture of the boys and their medals. You are right though, I can almost see them in the same pose a few years down the road. :) I still can't get over Addie...I think she grows a little more each day!!