Monday, February 23

A Long, Long Day!

I've been mentioning that Addie has been under the weather. Last Thursday we took her to the dr.'s and they said she had bronchitis. Started her on meds and said if she wasn't better come back in 3 days to come back. Her fever seemed to break in Sunday and I thought she was doing better this morning, but then her chest really started rattling again during speech today. so I called the dr and they didn't have any openings but took a message. They then returned my phone call and said the Dr (not our Dr, he's out for the rest of the week) wanted a chest x-ray. so off we go to get the x-ray. the ding dong Dr. didn't write stat on the referral form so I was told it would be 2 days until we heard the results. WHAT?! So back i go to the Dr's office questioning why this report wasn't to be a call report. They double checked with the Dr's nurse and no he didn't want it to be a call report. so back home we go.

we were home for an hour and half and the dr's office calls and tells me that Addie has pnemonia and I need to go to the ER right away. Shocked I say the ER? Yes she will probably be admitted. I questioned a little bit more because in the back of my head I know that we haven't met our insurance deductable and if she's not admitted we will have a hefty ER bill to pay. The nurse double checked and said yes the Dr wants you to go to the ER for her to be admitted. So I scrambled to back some stuff up all the while wondering why the ER has to admit us to the hospital and why my Dr couldn't do it, but I followed orders.

we get to the ER and it is packed! we waited for quite a while until we were even taken back to a room. we waited even longer for a nurse and then the dr to come. while waiting addie is acting like an animal. this was like a trip to the playground for her- jumping on the bed, sliding through the railing onto the floor, running around the bed, climbing up on the bed again through the railing. Doing everything but acting like she's sick. When the dr comes in his remark is "from as bad as the x-ray looks i would of thought she'd be really sick and laying in the bed!" He basically made all diagonosis off the fact that my daughter was acting like she was high on something and therefore couldn't be sick. He told me she was on the rebound (which i sort of feel also), there's no need to admit her, and no reason to change her medicine (and there I strongly disagree). SO our trip to the ER was an absolute waste of time (2 1/2 hours)!!! THe only thing i know is that Addie's lungs look pretty bad. I know that she sort of has been acting more of herself and the fever is gone, but it's really bothering me that her x-ray looks bad and no one at the hospital seemed concerned about it.

So I guess we'll be keeping a close eye on our Addie girl. Please be praying that the Dr's thoughts were correct and they didn't overlook something just because she wasn't acting sick. This definitely wasn't the start of the week that I was expecting! Just a little bit ago as I was typing this Tanyon comes out from bed and says "mom my throat hurts". Just what I needed to hear at the end of this very long day.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I was kind of worried about you last night. I looked over at your house...didn't see any lights, and part of me thought: I hope everything is okay. I should have stopped right there and prayed for you all. I didn't...shame on me. But I am praying for Addie today. I am hoping that she is on the road to recovery. Oh no, poor Tanyon...I hope he isn't sick also. Should we put an infirmary sign up at your house? You will be in my thoughts and prayers today!

Judy said...

It is so hard to have wisdom in those situations. You never know when to be assertive and when to just take what they say and walk out the door. I'm praying that everyone made the right decision for Addie and that she's better in no time!