Sunday, February 8

Undefeated


So I have been so busy the past several months that I haven't even had the chance to post that I was coaching basketball. Sports have always been a passion in my life, and at one time more of a priority than they should have been. I strongly feel that everything I learned about life during high school and college came through things experienced in sports. So once I finished up my "playing days" in college, coaching became my automatic next goal. When I was hired for my first teaching position I also accepted the JV basketball position. My aspiration was always to be a head coach. After being by passed for the head coaching position several years back I felt God prompting me that I was once again putting too much emphasis on that goal. So I handed that desire over to God and if He feels that He could use me one day in that position I know He'll allow it. If not, I'm okay with that to.

So I continued to coach JV for 6years. However, last year I recognized that due to the circumstances of our family I should step down a level and coach 9th grade largely because it's much less of a time commitment. Last year we won one game and it was quite a challenge to keep the girls positive and working hard all season. This year was the opposite end of the spectrum- we went undefeated (12-0)! It was quite fun to be sitting in a situation where we were leading at halftime, something that really rarely has occurred while coaching in Waynesboro for me. This season went so well that it seemed like the season just flew by and it's actually hard to believe that we're done! We finished the season off in grand fashion Saturday by winning the tournament that we were in. The championship game was great- it had atmosphere (it was actually hard to get the girls to hear me at times, which usually isn't the case in a middle school gym), we were losing for the 1st time all season and we were in foul trouble! The girls over came the adversity and played the best bbll I had seen them play all season to end up winning by a large margin!

As much as a just really enjoy coaching, my purpose is to be a light to the girls that I coach. Being teenagers, I'll never know if I had an impact- but I hope they walk away knowing that there is something different about me and remember to work hard at even the tiniest of details in life. I'm sad to see the group move on, they were a great group of girls. As far as next year goes I'm not sure if I will be coaching. I'm not sure if it is in the best interest of my family or not and there's speculation that there may not be a 9th gd team due to numbers. But I'm not worrying about it (which is my natural inclination to do) because I know that God is in control. I'll admit though that the championship game was so much fun to coach that I couldn't help but remind God that I'd still love the opportunity to have my own program, but I'm also ready to just step down and wait for Addie to play and coach her teams. We'll just have to wait to see what God has in store. And I know that his plans are WAY better than mine (a hard lesson to learn)!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

One of the many reasons I admire both you and Adam are because of the totally positive role model you are for teens. Remember Haven saying last year, when I am a mom, I want to be just like Heidi? But I am not saying that to make you miss the coaching aspects of your life....just to say that you can have that same positive influence wherever you are in life...and I am so thankful for the Godly life that you reflect for our family.

Judy said...

Congrats on being undefeated! That's quite an accomplishment!! I can just see Addie playing basket ball now! That's going to be so much fun!